This programme studies the cognitive processes and representations underlying human thought, knowledge and behaviour. It integrates a wide range of disciplines and methodologies with the core assumption that human cognition is a computational process, implemented in neural hardware.
Key topics include:
- The nature of computational explanation
- General principles of cognition
- Methodology of computational modelling
- Theories of the cognitive architecture
- Symbol systems
- Neural computation
- Case studies in computational cognitive modelling.
The programme involves intensive training in experimental design and methodology, building computational models, and carrying out a substantial piece of original research.
Birkbeck College Library